Warehouse and Offices for Moseley Distributors
BHC Ltd. was appointed as Main Contractor for the new warehouse building, with a small office block for Moseley Distributors at their premises in North Lanarkshire.
The project consisted of building a heated warehouse of 1140 square metres, with an office block containing 2 offices, kitchen, toilet and waiting room.
The warehouse building had a curved eaves detail to match the existing building on site. It was fully insulated with cavity walls (facing brick outer leaf, partial cavity insulation and concrete block internal leaf) to 2100mm above floor level. Above this was clad with insulated composite panels to eaves height. Insulated steel gutted was fitted behind the curved eaves detail with a siphonic rainwater collection system installed internally to drain the water to one point behind the building.
The roof was clad with insulated composite panels complete with rooflights to suit and with a proprietory roof safety line system fitted with access ladder from the lower office roof.
- The project involved the excavation of foundations to a deep level to achieve the necessary ground-bearing capacity.
- The building structure consisted of a steel portal frame spanning 31.0 metres, 7.650 metres to eaves level and 36.782 metres long.
- 1 doorway 6.000 metres wide X 5.000 metres high and 1 – 8.000 metres wide X 5.000 metres high were required for access.
- A power floated fibre reinforced concrete floor was laid internally and externally to match existing levels.
- The office block walls were strapped and lined with plasterboard, suspended ceilings, powder-coated aluminium windows and entrance door, complete with concealed roller shutter covers.
- Kitchen and toilet fit-out were undertaken by a sub contractor, as was the decoration.
- A septic tank was installed for the foul drainage, with outfall to a soakaway drain to which the rainwater was also added.
- A concrete path around the building and pad for LPG tank completed the external works.
- Heating to the warehouse was achieved by gas-fired radiant tubes with a gas boiler fitted in the kitchen for office heating and hot water. This work was subcontracted.
- The electrical installation was also subcontracted to a client-nominated contractor. The power supply being ducted from the existing building.